A two days long Meeting entitled “Asian Regional Meeting 2017” was organized here at Nepal by one of the organization which advocates Open Philosophy. Open Access Nepal organized the event on 2-3 December at Hotel Annapurna with the objective “Open in Action: Reaching The Information Divide” . Program was financially supported by SPARC*, Hewlett Foundation and Wellcome. Ministry of Health, Ministry of Education, Ministry of Science and Technology, Open Knowledge Nepal, Creative Commons and Entrepreneurs Nepal were some of it’s financial supporters.
Around 130 Participants from different countries of Asia including India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal and different organization/institution joined this event. There was aspiring KeyNote Speech from three of the dignitaries:
- Heather Joseph, Executive Director at SPARC
- Kathleen Shearer, Executive Director at COAR
- Nick Shockey, Director of Programs & Engagement at SPARC
Open Access Nepal organized this Regional Meeting here at Nepal with following objectives:
- Grow the openness movement in Asia, including identifying champions to promote openness in the region
- Provide networking opportunities amongst the participants thus accelerating the advancement in open access, open educational resources, open data and open publishing in the region
- Empower and engage openness skills capacity among Asian delegates
- Develop communities of practice;
- Provide opportunities for knowledge and sharing
- Gathering faculty members, established researchers, professors, research agencies and persuade them to be vocal open advocates through our event
- Rectify the problems and challenges persistent in the Asian region and come up with ways to battle them
- Know the status of openness in countries within Asia
- Form a central open steering committee consisting of key members from within the region to boost the open momentum in Asia
- Launch and roll out SPARC ASIA
Throughout the two day meeting there were various events that could highlight the status of Open Access in Academic Journals, Government Data in Asia. Open Access Bangladesh had their active participation in this meeting. They presented with one year long effort to stand Open Access Bangladesh and help the communities in Bangladesh. They had done a tremendous job in a short span of time.
Dr. Roshan Karn from Open Access Nepal and also the secretary of Open Access Asia highlighted about the open movement continued by Open Access Nepal and Open Access Asia. There were round of Panel Discussion with representatives from Government of Nepal. They discussed whether or not Nepal Government is optimistic about Open Access to Government for it’s Citizen. Discussion was fruitful since Government showed their optimism and also call for participation in making reach of Open Access among it’s citizen.
Startup Companies like Udhyami Nepal also participated in the ARM and presented how they are a part of this Open Movement by sharing their infographs and open data portal nepalindata.com
On second day there were more interactive activities like workshops on Creative Commons, Open Access, Open Education and Open Data. Strategic planning for continuing such activities and starting SPARC ASIA was also don in the second day. Program finally concluded with a closing summary by Heather. And all participants enjoyed the cultural show with cocktail dinner in a cold evening with warm enjoyment of successful completion of event.
Resource: Asian Regional Meeting 2017